Red Ribbon Week October 21 – 25, 2019
Hello, Woodland Students & Families!
Officer Vicchio has invited all of us to participate in Red Ribbon Week at Woodland.
This is such a great opportunity to remind our students about healthy choices as we think about Drug Prevention and wellness.
We will celebrate with a special School Spirit Day each day this week.
Here we Go…
Let’s Get RED!
Hello/Hello, Woodland Families!
Welcome back! We certainly hope your Fall Break 2019 was filled with lots of fun and relaxation. It’s always refreshing to have our extra vacation days to connect with special friends & families at home or wherever we may travel. And now we are ready for an exciting Quarter Two at Woodland… #woodlandrocks #soaringwithgreatness J
- Thank you, Woodland Families, for making this special event such a success. We earned over $500 for participating teachers to use for purchasing additional classroom materials. We appreciate you so very much!
Grade K – 3 Teddy Bears
- Our Grade K-3 students were so excited to receive their new teddy bears from Johnson City’s United Way. As you may already know, these adorable teddy bears were acquired through a special grant for Johnson City Schools and WA County in connection with the Snuggle Corporation. Our K-3 littles were absolutely thrilled!
A Special Thanks to…
- Ms. Jennifer Kelso and Harper Simerly (Grade One) for creating and donating our Crayola Recycling Stations. We absolutely love them! We have those stations positioned in our Woodland library and also in the art room. When our art markers are no longer usable, we may place those in one of the deposit stations to be later recycled – such a wonderful Woodland project!
- Mrs. Christy Huret (Reagan’s mom/Grade Three) for presenting a special historical story to celebrate our United States Constitution. We had such an inspiring ceremony on September 20th honoring America and our freedoms.
- Mrs. Laura Evans for helping us with our beautiful music as we celebrated America on that special Constitution day.
- Mrs. Cacy Loudon for helping our students to celebrate reading during our October 4th First Friday Gathering. Our students were so excited to receive a special Fuddruckers’ gift certificate.
- Our very special Woodland Grandparents for joining us for lunch on October 4th. We so enjoyed meeting these very important family members!
- Mrs. Amanda Gallam, our Woodland Café Manager, for organizing and hosting our Grandparents’ Luncheon – we loved it!
- Mrs. Jennifer Carter – and so many of you as Woodland families – for hosting our faculty luncheon to celebrate Woodland’s most recent Reward School Distinction. It was delicious and so very special for our staff members. We appreciate you!
Our PTA Fall Fundraiser
- Many thanks to each of you who participated in our Fall PTA Fundraiser. Our Pk-4 students did such an amazing job and were so excited to receive their daily prizes. We appreciate your hard work and support so very much. More details to come regarding our final prizes and fundraising total. Thank you to our Mrs. Allison Athon, Mrs. Sara Collins, and our entire PTA Board for their organization and creativity with this process.
Our Current Habits of Success
- Be proactive.
- Begin with the end in mind.
- Thank you, Dr. Presley, Mrs. Archer, & several of our GR 4 students, for organizing our October 4th Leadership Celebration. It was a fantastic program!
Our Forthcoming Dates of Interest
As always, please contact us as questions or concerns arise via email or phone. We are always here to support you: our amazing PK-4 students and families! J Our main office is open each school day/7:30 AM – 4:30 PM.
~ Dr. Karen Reach
- Twitter @ Dr.KarenReach
- Our Woodland Office #423.434.5267
- Our Administrative Assistant: Mrs. Kathy Berry
- Our Family/School Coordinator and Attendance Specialist: Mrs. Brenna Bennett
- Our Educare Director: Mrs. Kirstie Bolton
Woodland Elementary Attendance Spirit Week
Monday, September 16: Woodland School Spirit Day
[Wear green and yellow to celebrate getting to come to Woodland every day!]
Tuesday, September 17: Sombrero Day
[Wear your favorite hat to school!]
Wednesday, September 18: Fiesta Day
[Wear your brightest and most colorful clothes to school!]
Thursday, September 19: Crazy Sock Day
[School is FUN: It's okay to be a little silly!]
Friday, September 20: Science Hill Spirit Day
[WE are all Toppers, so wear maroon and yellow and cheer on Science Hill!]
All students with perfect attendance for the month of September will win a ticket to the attenDANCE fiesta at the end of the month!
**Please do not wear a mask or hat that covers the face. We want to keep everyone as safe and comfortable as possible.**
2019-2020 School Supply List
Backpack purchases are not a necesary school supply. Please feel free to contact us if we can assist you in any way.
For the updated Woodland School Supply List, please click here or use the link in the sidebar.
Celebrating 25 Years of Excellence
Woodland envisions producing students who are educated, cultured, and experienced in reasoning critically, while contributing as a productive member of our school and community. This is accomplished by providing cooperative and meaningful learning opportunities within a diverse community where each child is challenged to reach his or her maximum competency as a lifelong learner. Find out more on our "School Information" page
To Our Wonderful Woodland Families,
You are invited to our annual Open House on Thursday, August 1, 2019 (6 – 6:45 PM) Our Academic & Related Arts’ Teachers will be located in their individual classrooms for this very special meet & greet event! Everyone is welcome! Followed by Popsicles & a Back to School Story with Principal Karen Reach. (6:45 – 7:15 PM) underneath our new Playground Sun Shade, located on our large, outdoor playground. You are welcome to bring a lawn chair or blanket if you wish. As always, please contact our main office @ 434.5267 or via email. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Hello/Hello, Woodland Families! We certainly hope you are enjoying our beautiful sunshine and warmer temperatures as the month of May is quickly approaching! J
Thanks to everyone who supported our recent PTA Walk-a-thon/it was a HUGE success! I know our PTA Board is very excited to share our grand total with you very shortly! J
We are so thankful for your continued enthusiasm and partnership. Our students are SO very fortunate to have such amazing parents, guardians, and grandparents. We could not do our work without you ~ TY for everything!
Please remember to read, read, and read with your student or students at home each day ~ for at least 20 minutes. Additional reading minutes are always welcomed! J This is very important as we continue to grow our reading comprehension and fluency. And with that shared, remember to ask your student to read aloud to you each day. Building that fluency piece is like lifting weights ~ it will make our reading comprehension stronger.
Family Survey ~ I would LOVE your input as we continue to plan for our forthcoming school year. A copy of our Spring 2019 Survey is included on the reverse side of this newsletter. Please return to us by May 10th if possible. An electronic link was forwarded through School Messenger on Monday. Please respond digitally if that is easier. I appreciate you!
As we Think Forward to May ~ our calendar dates of importance are included below. Whew~ we are going to be busy at Woodland! Please join us as your schedules allow.
As always, please contact us if you have questions at any time
With kindest regards,
Dr. Karen Reach
Woodland Elementary School Principal
Congratulations to Miss Ashley Carlson! WJHL Educator of the Week
Oh YES/WE are a REWARD School!
As you have probably heard and/or read, Woodland has been recognized as a 2018 Reward School of Distinction by the Tennessee Department of Education. WE are THRILLED! This distinction affirms Woodland’s great work with respect to academics as our Grade 3 and 4 students performed at the highest levels of growth and achievement during our Spring 2018 assessments – now that is something to celebrate! It takes EACH of us to achieve this success. Our amazing work begins in PK with our Woodland students and continues to grow throughout Grades K-4. Gotta say it: Woodland ROCKS!
Change for Change as WE Serve Others...
Thank you to ALL who contributed to our Change for Change Campaign last week. Those coin totals are being calculated now and all of our proceeds will be donated directly to the Red Cross to assist the most recent hurricane and flood victims.
Our Kindness Garden
We are so very proud of our beautiful Kindness Garden located in the front portion of our landscaping. Each of our K-4 students designed a special kindness rock last spring during art time with Mrs. Burgess. Those designs are so inspirational and unique! A special thanks to Lifeforce Glass and Mrs. Jennifer Kelso-Brunson for donating the many rocks needed for our kindness project. Our hope is that all students and families will be inspired by those words of kindness within our garden. Please stop by and visit this wonderful area when you have time to do so! A special thanks to Mr. Josh and Mrs. Burgess for the excellent design and placement of our garden area.
Our Buddy Benches
More exciting supports for our students ~ we will soon be adding two new Buddy Benches on both the small and large playgrounds. These special playground benches will be a kindness reminder that at any time a student is feeling lonely or sad, he/she can sit upon the buddy bench as a signal that he/she would like a friend or friends to connect with upon the bench. It is always our mission for students to feel supported and encouraged at school. A constant connection to the WE in our school motto!
Check out Woodland's Twitter Feed
Click the Twitter logo on the right side of the screen to see the latest happenings at Woodland Elementary, or follow us @Woodland_JCS
Our School-wide Makerspace
Thank you for your many, many donations! Mr. Simerly is working hard to create this very unique learning space for our students. Remember to send any extra crayons, markers, papers, cardboard, boxes, etc. that could be used to construct student projects within this special Woodland creation space. Your donations will be put to good use!
Morning Arrival/Drop-Off Times
Please remember that we must not drop-off students before 7:45 AM.
It is very unsafe to do so because our teachers and support staff are not on duty until 7:45 AM.
In short, student supervision begins at 7:45 AM each school day. A special thanks to our Related Arts’ teachers and Officer Hilton for their daily service as our morning supervision team. It truly takes a village!
Visitor Check-In / Check-Out System
The safety of all students is our number one priority at Johnson City Schools. In an ongoing effort to improve safety, we are implementing district-wide check in and check out procedures at each school location. These procedures will help us keep track of who is in our buildings at all times.
Please wear your visitor badge visibly while in the building. Thank you.
At Woodland Elementary