Attendance Policy -
- It is essential that each student be present each day school is in session. Virtually, all research indicates that there is a direct correlation between school attendance and success in school. For the benefit of your child's learning, please make every effort to ensure that he/she is in school. \
Under the policie of the Johnson City Board of Education, absences are to be excused for only the following reasons and under the following conditions: personal illness, illness of immediate family member, death in the family, extreme weather conditions, religious observances, and 3 parent/family days.
- Appointments should be scheduled outside of the school day, when possible, and vacations during the appointed breaks.
- The implementation of the progressive truancy intervention plan will begin after three (3) unexcused absences:
- Tier 1 - A student having three (3) or more unexcused absences will result in a parent and/or student meeting with a school official.
- Tier 2 will be implemented if unexcused absences continue - a review of the student's absences will be made by school officials.
- Tier 3 will be implemented if unexcused absences continue - parent/guardians will be referred to juvenile court for a meeting with the court's Probation Officer, a DCS representative, a representative from the school and the Attendance Supervisor for Johnson City Schools.
- If attendance does not improve after the above meetings, a truancy petition WILL BE filed in court and a report WILL BE made to the Tennessee Department of Children's Services.
- A student must be in school for 3 hours and 31 minutes to be considered present for the day.
- A doctor’s note is required for any child who has accumulated 5 unexcused absences and/or 5 sick notes written by the parent or a combination of both.
- A parent should call the school by 9:00 a.m. when their child will be out. After an absence, our policy requires that a written excuse from the parent be sent to the office the day the child returns to school.
- A child is allowed 3 parent request days a year. A note must be approved by the principal prior to these days being taken.
- Johnson City School Board Policy 6.200 states “Upon recommendation of the principal, students in grades K-7 who are absent more than twenty (20) days will not be promoted to the next grade. All absences, excused or unexcused, are counted in the maximum number of days that may be missed during a session or school year.”