Johnson City School Attendance Policy
- Appointments should be scheduled outside of the school day, when possible, and vacations during the appointed breaks.
- Unexcused absences of 5 or more days will be referred to juvenile court for a meeting with the court’s Probation Officer.
- After 10 unexcused absences, a truancy petition will be filed in court.
- After 10 unexcused absences, we are required to make a report to the Tennessee Department of Children’s Services.
- A student must be in school for 3 hours and 31 minutes to be considered present for the day.
- A doctor’s note is required for any child who has accumulated 5 unexcused absences and/or 5 sick notes written by the parent or a combination or both.
- A parent should call the school at 423-854-4800 by 9:00 a.m. when their child will be out. After an absence, our policy requires a written excuse from the parent to be sent to the office the day the child returns to school.
- A child is allowed 3 parent request days a year. A note must be sent to and approved by the principal.
- Johnson City School Board Policy 6.200 states “Upon recommendation of the principal, students in grades K-8 who are absent more than twenty (20) days will not be promoted to the next grade. All absences, excused or unexcused, are counted in the maximum number of days that may be missed during a session of school year.”