Want to enroll? Use this link:
WHAT IS THE ACT?
ACT is a college and career readiness exam based on the curriculum you have been taught from elementary through high school. In Tennessee, taking the ACT is a graduation requirement for a regular diploma.
WHY IS THE ACT IMPORTANT?
While you spend most of high school being told exactly what you have to do, deciding what to do after high school is up to you. With so many options, it is normal not to know exactly what you plan to do.
- If you are thinking about going to college, it is important to know that the ACT is commonly used by colleges to determine eligibility for admission, scholarships, and college course placement.
- If you don’t think you plan to enroll in college, career readiness skills—such as core academic skills, critical thinking, and problem solving—overlap significantly with the skills you need to succeed on the ACT. ACT scores can be used by employers to hire and train the most qualified applicants.
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR THE ACT?
Your daily coursework provides you with the foundational academic skills needed for the ACT. By taking advanced coursework—such as honors or AP courses—you can increase your preparedness for the ACT. Beyond your daily coursework, you can prepare for the exam by familiarizing yourself with the structure and format of it.
WHAT RESOURCES ARE AVAILABLE TO HELP ME DO MY BEST ON THE ACT?
To help you prepare for the exam, at Science Hill we are offering a FREE, online, and self-paced ACT prep course. You can even earn a 0.5 elective credit for completing the course. Registration is available for all students in grades 9-12. This prep focuses on:
- Understanding what the ACT is, why it is important for college and career readiness, and how to interpret your ACT results;
- Understanding how academic skills connect to career pathways and opportunities after high school;
- Preparing for the ACT exam through instruction, practice, and familiarity with the structure and format of the ACT; and
- Identifying and using best practices for maximizing your ACT score (for example: “test tips”, strategies for dealing with test anxiety, and benefits of retaking the exam).
Whether you are a senior considering retaking the ACT or a freshman just learning about the ACT, the strategies and resources of the SHHS FREE and online ACT Prep course can help you prepare to do your best.