Johnson City Schools to present two-middle school concept to community
The Johnson City School system is looking for feedback from the community as district administrators work toward a proposed plan for two middle schools, which was approved during the September 7 Johnson City Board of Education meeting.
The purpose of these 10 meetings is to communicate the feasibility of transitioning to two 5-8 middle schools. The presentation will take about 15-20 minutes and will focus on why the system would like to transition to two middle schools. Presenters will also go over the programs, services, offerings for students (curricular and extra-curricular), the demographics regarding elementary schools’ assignments and the next steps. If a person is not able to make it to their school’s presentation, then they are welcome to come to one of the other dates.
There will be time for questions after the presentation and the district welcomes those questions in order to gain a feeling from the community about this possible transition.
The Dates are as follows:
South Side – Already met
Mountain View -Thursday, October 12 at 6:00 p.m.
Lake Ridge – Tuesday, October 17 at 6:30 p.m.
Woodland – Thursday, October 19 at 6:00 p.m.
Towne Acres – Monday, October 23 at 6:30 p.m.
Indian Trail – Tuesday, October 24 at 6:00 p.m.
Cherokee – Tuesday, October 24 at 6:15 p.m.
Fairmont – Tuesday, November 14 at 6:30 p.m.
North Side – Tuesday, December 5 at 5:30 p.m.
Liberty Bell – TBD
- Students will have their core classes: English Language Arts, Math, and Science/Social Studies.
- Students have two related arts per day. Students who sign up for performing arts will have their chosen class every day for the entire year. Performing arts students will also have an additional related arts class daily that will rotate each nine weeks.
HAWKS TIME & TEAM TIME
- There are two outside activity times at ITIS per day, Team Time and HAWKS Time.
- Team Time is a 25-minute activity time
- HAWKS Time is an additional 20-minute block of time for students to go outside. HAWKS is an acronym for Healthy Activities Where Kids Smile.
- HAWKS Time will occur four days a week. On the fifth day, teachers will incorporate social/emotional activities such as team meetings and class meetings. Our goal is to build community, improve relationships, resolve conflicts, and create organization and structure. This is also a great time to recognize outstanding student behavior. Again, we will continue to focus on teaching whole child.
Our teachers are committed to improving consistency from hallway to hallway with the types of communications we utilize. In order to achieve this, our leadership team created the following guidelines for our school:
- Weekly Emails from the team to parents
- Grades Teachers will enter student grades in PowerSchool weekly so that parents have access to up-to-date and accurate academic progress
- Wednesday Folders are used for sending information home to parents
- Trackers are emphasized and utilized as a communication tool between teachers and parents