Frequently Asked Questions
How can my family secure internet access?
- As of March 16, Charter has started to offer free WiFi for 60 days to families with limited income. For more details, please click here or call 1-844-488-8395.
- Comcast is also offering 60 days of free service to families with limited income. To sign up, call 855-846-8376 (English) or 855-765-6995 (Spanish). Or click here for more information.
- In addition, Xfinity WiFi hotspots across the country will now be FREE to anyone who needs them – including non-Xfinity subscribers. For a map of Xfinity WiFi hotspots, visit www.xfinity.com/wifi. Once at a hotspot, just select the “xfinitywifi” network name in the list of available hotspots, and then launch any browser.
Will students receive official grades for the work they're doing while we're closed?
- No. The intent of all work is for practice and reinforcement of grade-level standards.
Will the ACT for Science Hill students be held on March 31?
- No. All testing has been postponed. As soon as we know more about future ACT test dates. As of 3/20, we are currently working with ACT to explore possible options, including the current planned state testing date of April 21. We will communicate more information in the coming weeks. At this time, we are working with ACT and anticipate offering additional testing dates.
- At a minimum, juniors who are not able to test later this spring or summer will be able to utilize the October Senior Retake day. This option will be available for students who successfully tested in the spring or summer and students that will be testing for the first time in the fall. We will continue to update you as more information becomes available.
Will we need to go to school in the summer?
- It does not seem likely. We will use our available stockpile days. By then, we hope to have more guidance from the state about how they will handle this situation. As soon as we have a definitive answer, we will let people know immediately.
Will we be closed for more than two weeks?
- Johnson City Schools is on spring break from March 16 until Monday, March 20. As we monitor the outbreak of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), JCS will be closed from Monday, March 23 until Monday, April 27. Please be aware that as we approach April 27, we will reevaluate this date to determine when and how school will resume.
Will we be cleaning our buses?
- Yes! The Johnson City Transit will deep clean all buses.
Are these messages available in other languages?
- Yes. They're all posted on the Response Plan page of our website (www.jcschools.org/COVID-19), which has an auto-translate function for other languages. The translate button is on the top left of the menu bar. If you need more assistance, please let us know.
Where do I find the "At Home Learning Resources" section of the JCS website?
- We will have resources uploaded on our website, please click here. Academic packet #2 will be available for PreK-4 students on Thursday, April 9 at their school. Work packets for students in grades 5-8 will be available on Monday, April 13. For Science Hill students who do not have internet access packets are available for Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, English 9, English 10, and English 11 starting Apri 9. Students using Canvas do not need to pick up packets.
Where are the food distribution centers and what are the hours?
- Please click here for more current information.
If my child has medication at school, but I can't get there to pick it up, what should I do?
- If your student has essential medications at school, you should be contacted by a school nurse for a pick-up time. If you have not heard from a school nurse by the end of the noon, Friday March 20, please contact 423-434-5200.
Are events run by external organizations that rent space at schools (like churches for Sunday service)?
- ALL activities at school are canceled.
If I want to help in some way, what should I do?
- We currently have enough staff who are volunteering, so we are not coordinating non-staff volunteers. However, there are many on-going efforts in our community to provide support. Please contact one of those organizations. If we begin to organize volunteers, we will update the community.