Meal Payment Options and Charging Policies
- Pay for school meals anytime, anywhere from your computer or smartphones by using MySchoolBucks.com.
With MySchoolBucks you never have to worry about lost lunch money again. MySchoolBucks is a secure, easy and convenient way to apply funds directly to your student’s meal account online using a debit or credit card. You can even check the account balance and keep an eye on what your student is buying! As an added convenience, parents can be proactive and receive a Low Balance notification alerting them that the student’s account will need another payment applied soon. If desired, the system also allows draft payments at intervals set by the parent.
MySchoolBucks has been designed to make it easy to set up an account and it guides you through the process. To learn more visit www.myschoolbucks.com. To register, you simply need your student’s name, school, and birth date. If you have any problems enrolling, please contact the School Nutrition office at 423-434-5228.
To receive email notification of low balances, please follow the steps below:
- From the www.myschoolbucks.com home page, hover your mouse over "Account" and choose "My Profile".
- Enter you email address under the "My Account Info" section.
- Scroll down to the "Email Notifications Settings" box and place a check mark in the box that says "Please send me an email notification when my student(s) balance drops below $X.XX - enter the dollar amount threshold.
- There are other options in this section such as notifying you when your credit card expires and notification for Pay As Your Go charges occur.
- Local personal checks are also accepted for meal account payment at the cafeteria. Checks must have imprinted check numbers and personal contact information.
- Any returned checks are handled by ReSubmit and are subject to the maximum collection fees allowed by law.
- Repeated problems with returned checks will prevent checks from being accepted for meal payments.
School Meal Charge Procedure
Recognizing there may be instances of lost or forgotten money or other complications preventing students from having money to pay for their meal, Johnson City School Meals has a 3-tiered system to allow for limited meal charges.
Elementary, Indian Trail, and Liberty Bell students will be allowed to charge an amount up to five meals. There will be no charges allowed at the high school level. Science Hill is the recipient of the community-sponsored fund that provides up to two lunches per nine weeks for each student who needs assistance. Re-payment to this fund is not required, but in the mind-set of “paying it forward”, it is a good thing to do.
When a child’s account reaches three charges, an automated contact to the home is initiated through SchoolMessenger. This will notify the telephone, email, and/or text contact listed in the school system’s student database. This allows parents to know immediately when a child’s account is in the negative and allow them time to get payment before the charge limit is reached. Some schools may have a school and community-sponsored Emergency Fund to allow additional charging, but that is not guaranteed.
To be proactive and make immediate payments from anywhere, parents can log into MySchoolBucks.com or use the mobile apps available for your device.