Updated: January 7, 2022
This was updated on Friday, January 7 to reflect the updated Tennessee Department of Health Return to School Algorithm (1-5-22).
Due to upcoming legislation expected to be signed into law by Governor Bill Lee on Friday, November 12, 2021, Johnson City Schools' COVID-19 Protocols have changed to comply with the new state law and are as follows:
1. Johnson City Schools will no longer require students and school employees to wear face coverings. However, students and staff may still wear a mask if they choose.
2. Contact tracing will be the sole responsibility of the Northeast Regional Health Department.
3. The Northeast Regional Health Department will notify families of potential exposure.
4. Johnson City Schools will follow the TDH Return to School Algorithm (1-5-22). A student with one minor symptom will be assessed and can return after the symptom is no longer evident.
5. Students with two symptoms (chills, congestion/runny nose, sore throat, headache, nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, muscle pain, fatigue) or one major symptom (new cough, difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell, fever greater than 100.4) will be required to (a) test, which Johnson City Schools can provide free of charge with parental consent, (b) have an acceptable alternative diagnosis per TDH Return to School Algorithm (1-5-22) from their doctor, or (c) remain out of school for the required amount of days (please refer to TDH Return to School Algorithm (1-5-22).
6. Students who are quarantined by the Northeast Regional Health Department will still be labeled as QP (quarantined present). Johnson City Schools reserves the right to ask for documentation of proof of quarantine.
7. Johnson City Schools will still have some restrictions on visitors in school buildings (limited numbers, eating with their child only in a separate area, and appropriate social distancing of assisting in school-related activities, etc.).
8. We will move to updating the dashboard on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays and will only post positive cases, not quarantines. This is in an effort to only post accurate information, as we will not be assisting in contact tracing or quarantining. If needed, we may begin posting positive flu numbers.